11/19/11 – CUNY General Assembly
CUNY-Wide General Assembly Minutes
• The 21st
• Relationship with occupation downtown
• The 28th
• Going forward
Reached Consensus on (more details below):
• The 21s:t :Wait until first two topics are covered during the discussion (healthcare and pathways), then when tuition comes up 1st person will try to read their testimonial and when the BoT interrupts them, someone will do a ‘mic check’.
• Relationship with occupation downtown: Engage with the occupation- go there, have teach-ins, etc.
• The 28th : Attempt to shut down BoT meeting.
• Going forward: have a meeting to start planning for a CUNY-wide shutdown at some point (tentatively in March) with the possibility of a fall tuition strike.
City College planning for walkout
All students assembly supporting the 21st. PSC will be joining demonstration. There will be a speak out at the park.
• 3pm Madison Sq Park w/ speakout
• 4pm heading over to Brauch
• 5pm hearing
• Not everyone will get into meeting, there will be a presence on the sidewalk.
Proposal: students at the grad center proposed that we come up with a statement for students to read out at the public hearing. Wait until about 2/3rd of the way through to do ‘mic check’.
People spoke in favor and against shutting down BoT meeting right away
Temp check on shutting down meeting immediately:
14 in favor
Return to discussion:
Concerns regarding representation of cuny undergrads in gc decision making that affects all cuny.
Concerns regarding how long to continue this discussion in favor of going to new school occupation.
Friendly amendment proposed and accepted: we wait until other topics are discussed (healthcare, pathways, etc) before doing a ‘mic check’. Tuition should be 3rd point on the agenda.
Consensus reached on follow proposal: Wait until first two topics are covered during the discussion (healthcare and pathways), then when tuition comes up 1st person will try to read their testimonial and when the BoT interrupts them, someone will do a ‘mic check’.
Outside of Baruch the 21st:
Proposal passed by concensus (in addition to the press conference):
• have a general assembly either in the lobby or outside depending on the energy and strength of the crowd in order to decide what is to be done. if people can’t get inside have a mock trial outside.
• The general assembly and mock trial will organized by working groups headed up by the following people:
o Mock trial: Britney
o General assembly: Emma and Andy
• Bring flyer for next CUNY-wide general assembly (emma?)
The 28st : Baruch @ 4:30 BoT meeting
Discussion about the logistics and difficulties of shutting down a BoT meeting
Proposal passed with consensus: Proposal to shut down BoT meeting
Discussion about outreach w/ workers and high school (?)
Logistics about shutting down meeting will go to working group
Get OWS involved at DA meeting
CUNY Relationship to the occupation
There are a bunch of CUNY students down there already.
There are concerns about how the occupation was called and how the recent meeting conflicted with the CUNY-wide general assembly.
Clarification: this is not a New School occupation. There were NYU and grad center students and CUNY students are encouraged to come.
Proposal passed with consensus: we should engage with the space, have teach-ins, etc
-Proposal: Tuition strike at some point.
-Concern voiced over the logistics of someone taking out a loan then having a tuition strike.
-Point of information: There is going to be a meeting on the 21st at Madison sq park where people can pledge to go on a student loan refusal campaign.
-We can’t just talk about student loans because some people don’t have access to loans because of their status.
Proposal passed with consensus: to have a meeting to plan for a CUNY-wide shutdown at some point (tentatively March) with the possibility of a fall tuition strike.
Next CUNY-Wide GA: proposal to have it at the all-students occupation Sunday the 27th at 3:00pm. If that space is not available we will try St. Mary’s church or the solidarity center on 17th street.
The following CUNY-Wide GA: Sat Dec 3rd at Brooklyn college at 3pm.